There’s nothing like summer in America’s Most Perfect Village! The bases are loaded, the stages are set, with art and history weaving their way throughout every space. There’s so much to do all summer long, it was hard to choose only five to highlight. Here are five stellar reasons to start getting excited about your trip to Cooperstown this year.
1. Double trouble at Fenimore Art Museum. We’re used to having knock-out art exhibits at Fenimore Art Museum, but this year, we’re delighted to have two! Combine art and the sport of figure skating with The Dick Button Collection or celebrate icon Andrew Wyeth’s 100th birthday with Andrew Wyeth: a Family Remembrance. Both exhibits are bursting with special events, talks, and tours - be sure to check the museum calendar for details.
April 1st - December 31st
May 27th - September 4th
2. Green thumbs unite at The Farmers’ Museum. A new exhibit, GROW: an Exhibit to Get You Gardening, will inspire city apartment dwellers and large landowners alike to cultivate their own fresh veggies. Opens May 7th.
3. Also, work your brain at The Farmers’ Museum. Another intriguing exhibit, Plowline, will have you in awe of the life of farmers in New York throughout the 19th and 20th centuries with its vast and vivid collection of photographs. Also opens May 7th.
4. Get your song on at The Glimmerglass Festival. Music has filled the air every July and August since 1975 at The Glimmerglass Festival. This year’s line-up is strong with Porgy and Bess, Oklahoma!, Xerxes, and The Siege of Calais, grab your tickets before your getaway - they go fast and often sell out!
5. Live with the legends at The Baseball Hall of Fame. Hall of Fame Weekend is the biggest, brightest and most lively 4-day weekend every year. Expect to see more than four dozen Hall of Famers and hoards of fans anxious to shake hands and collect autographs. This year’s festivities will be underway July 28th - July 31st. You haven’t been to Cooperstown unless you’ve been here for Hall of Fame Weekend!
Whether you visit for one or all of these, there’s so much more - check our event calendar to see what’s happening the dates you’re in town. We’ve also put together some sample itineraries to help you explore all the possibilities in Cooperstown. Bring the kids, bring your friends, bring everyone to America’s Most Perfect Village and you’ll soon have new traditions and memories you’ll never forget.